Vegetarian and vegan recipes

Millet-Crusted Wild Mushroom & Arugula Pizza

Millet-Crusted Wild Mushroom & Arugula Pizza

I remember the first time I made (whole-wheat) pizza dough from scratch. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. To make a long story short, it was a weeknight and I didn't get to eat my pizza until past 11 PM! It was delicious and nutritious, but boy did I sweat for it.

So on occasion, I resort to pre-made frozen pizza dough for quick dinners. But that comes with another problem: white, refined flour. No matter how hard I search, I can't seem to find whole-grain pizza dough in any of the regular, ethnic, or natural grocery stores around here! As I try to avoid to the white stuff, I know that this is only a temporary solution.

Fortunately, I recently found notes in my mom's cooking binders which inspired me to try a different kind of pizza crust altogether. Forget the kneading and rising, forget the white flour! This millet crust is whole-grain, gluten-free, quick to make and delicious. Topped off with an herbed labneh sauce, wild mushrooms and arugula, you've got yourself a tasty, healthy pizza!

P.S. More millet goodness:




Millet-Crusted Wild Mushroom & Arugula Pizza

Millet crust:
  • 1 cup dry millet
  • 2 cups vegetable broth
  • 2 small eggs
  • 1/3 cup aged cheddar, grated
  • 1 tbsp fresh thyme

Herbed labneh sauce:
  • 1 cup labneh or greek yogurt
  • 2 tbsp fresh herbs, chopped (I used thyme, parsley and tarragon)
  • 1 tbsp finely minced onion
  • Lemon juice, a drizzle
  • Salt & pepper, to taste

Toppings:
  • Herbed labneh sauce, see above
  • 1/2 cup aged cheddar, grated
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 3 cups wild mushrooms, roughly chopped (I used oyster, shiitake and king trumpet)
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • Salt & pepper, to taste
  • 1 cup fresh arugula

For the millet crust: In a medium-sized pot, bring vegetable broth to a boil. Add dry millet and stir well. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 12-15 minutes, until all broth has been absorbed. Remove pot from heat and let rest for 10 minutes, covered.


Preheat oven to 350F.

Fluff the millet with a fork and transfer to a mixing bowl. Add 2 eggs, 1/3 cup of grated aged cheddar and 1 tbsp fresh thyme. Using a fork, stir to combine.


Transfer the millet mixture onto a 12-inch non-stick pizza pan.


With clean wet hands, press down the millet mixture to distribute it evenly. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool while you prepare the toppings and the sauce.

Increase oven temperature to 400 F.


For the wild mushrooms: Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium-low heat.


Add chopped wild mushrooms, minced garlic and sauté for two minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cover and continue cooking until the mushrooms start getting juicy, about 5-6 more minutes. Set aside.


For the herbed labneh sauce: In a small bowl, stir together the labneh, fresh herbs, minced onion and a drizzle of lemon juice. Season with salt & pepper, to taste.


To assemble your pizza: Spread the labneh & herb sauce evenly over the millet crust. Top with grated aged cheddar, followed by the sautéed mushrooms.

Bake in preheated (400F) oven for 7-8 minutes or until the cheese has melted.

Millet-Crusted Wild Mushroom Pizza

Top with fresh arugula and serve immediately.

Millet-Crusted Wild Mushroom & Arugula Pizza

Dig in!

Millet-Crusted Wild Mushroom & Arugula Pizza

Serves 4.

Millet crust inspired by my mother.

Got any suggestions for Craving Greens?


X