Vegetarian and vegan recipes

Blueberry-Kale Breakfast Smoothie

Blueberry-Kale Breakfast Smoothie

Let me be the first to wish you Happy New Year! I hope 2014 brings you health and happiness, because that's what truly matters.

I've been on a smoothie kick lately. Somehow, having a nutrient-packed smoothie for breakfast has been having a positive impact on the rest of my day. It makes me want to extend this healthy start throughout the day. Avoid tempting sweets in the office. Walk home from work. Walk up the six flights of stairs to our apartment. You know, small things that make me feel good and in control of my health.

A couple of times a week, I begin before breakfast. I start with a large mug of warm lemony water, followed by a short, but effective yoga routine consisting of sun salutations and a few poses. Then it's smoothie time. Blueberry-kale, beetroot-apple, all-green smoothie... I let the inspiration of the moment guide me. If I were a morning person, I'd make this my daily routine.

After the season of indulgence, start off the new year with this deliciously invigorating blueberry-kale breakfast smoothie. Who knows, it might have a positive impact on your life, too!



Blueberry-Kale Breakfast Smoothie
  • 1 cup frozen blueberries
  • 1 cup unsweetened soy milk
  • 2 medium kale leaves, de-stemmed and roughly chopped
  • 1 banana, diced
  • 2 fresh dates, pitted (adjust based on desired sweetness)
  • 2 tbsp fresh cilantro

Optional boosters (add 1 or +):

In a blender or the measuring beaker that came with your immersion blender, add the frozen blueberries, soy milk, chopped kale leaves, diced banana, pitted dates and cilantro.


Process until smooth. If you prefer a thinner smoothie, add more soy milk. If using, add the optional booster(s) of your choice. Process shortly to combine. 

Note: If you are using an immersion blender with a 500 ml beaker (like I am), you will have to process in two batches. Simply split all ingredients in half, process and repeat with the remainder.

Blueberry-Kale Breakfast Smoothie

Serve topped with blueberries and fresh cilantro leaves. Savour and start the New Year on the right note!

Blueberry-Kale Breakfast Smoothie

Yields 2 small or 1 large serving.


Got any suggestions for Craving Greens?


X